After a long hiatus, I've decided to become a Secret Pal again. I have a childish fascination with the US Postal Service and its delightful habit of leaving unexpected packages on my doorstep that will not allow me to stay away from Secret Pal any longer. Also I just want to make new friends.
Now for the exciting part: My answers to the Secret Pal 10 questionnaire. To all those of you who are not my future Secret Pal, I'd suggest navigating to another, more interesting site now, like maybe the growth rates of naked mole rats, or a dictionary of Quenya. Scintillating reading ahoy!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Does anyone like acrylic? Me neither. Though a nice acrylic/wooly blend is often just what the doctor ordered for easy-care garments (like kids' sweaters). My favorite fiber by far is alpaca, but I enjoy all kinds of natural fibers like merino wool, linen blends, silk blends, cotton blends and I just tried a soysilk/wool blend that I loved. I think I may be allergic to bamboo, and I just can't handle mohair, the exquisite itch from hell, beautiful as it is.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Let's see... theoretically the straight needles are in a vase, and the DPN's and circulars are in a train case, but in reality they are spread across every bag and corner of my house.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I am a medium in everything - height, weight, clothes and knitting skill level. Intermediate for sure. I've been knitting for about 5 years and was cajoled into it by my dear friend bugheart who wanted to start a Stitch & Bitch group but didn't know any other knitters. My, how times have changed!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have one at Alibris.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Smelly things are problematic for me. I like how many lovely things smell, but fakey perfume smells give me terrible headaches. A Yankee Candle sends me straight into conniptions. But a bunch of dried lavender? Heavenly.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Is there anything other than chocolate?
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin. I want to spin! Do you spin? How do I get started with this spinning? etc. I do a lot of other crafts. I sew occasionally, especially when making sock monsters or curtains for my house. I make a little jewelry now and then out of recycled costume jewelry. I like to make stuff rather than buy it - cookies, get-well cards, rain barrels, t-shirts, handbags, you get the idea. I like to make stuff.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Bring it all on! MP3s! Whatever! I like it. I like rock n'roll, vintage country, vintage blues, vintage anything, world music, worldbeat remixes, the songs they play on the 80's alternative retro station, jazz, funk, old R & B, anything but that teeny-bopper pop stuff the kids today are listening to. Ick! Kids today.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Favorites: warm earth tones. Hate: pastels. Love: black, red. Hate: cotton-candy pink. If you're into this sort of lingo, I'm a summer-fall kind of gal. Death to spring colors! (Except on flowers, they look pretty good in a spring palette).
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Happily living in sin with one man and two cats.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes. Unless they are in the aforementioned deathly spring colors, in which case no. But generally speaking, yes.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, baby sweaters, socks, beer cozies, socks and crazy bright kids' stuff.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A sweater for ME! This is very rare. I'm knitting Pullover Flair from IK Spring 2006.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular, for sure. Generally I knit with bamboo, but for socks I'm a big fan of the Addi Turbo.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes and/or yes.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't think I have anything that goes back before Christmas. I'm generally pretty good about finishing projects.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving is a good one.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No, but I love throwing out other people's collections.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've been hearing big things about the patterns of Phildar, and if you run across any women's sweater/accessory patterns from the 1910's - 40's, let me know! I would really like to get a copy of "Designing Knitwear" by Deborah Newton one day. I subscribe to Interweave Knits, and often pick up copies of Vogue Knitting and its various little-sister publications like Knit.1.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Yes! I want to learn to make short-rows without the bumps showing. I want to learn to spin and dye yarn. I want to learn about Alpaca husbandry so that I can move to the Andes and live out my days surrounded by fuzzy friends who give me yarn to play with.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Heck yes I am! Also, I wear a size 8 shoe.
23. When is your birthday?
July 25th, but I won't be upset if you don't send me an alpaca. I think it's too hot here for them, anyway.